Friday, May 25, 2007

what's the white stuff in bird poop?

That is also bird poop.

This Monday, we're headed into Memorial Day weekend in the U.S.. In case you don't know (and even some Americans don't know...) this holiday commemorates U.S. men and women who have died in military service to their country. This is usually observed by travel, barbecues, picnics, drunk driving and perhaps a parade or two. International Mr. Leather is a convention/gathering/whatever of leather and other fetishists that occurs in Chicago every year over Memorial Day weekend. That's just an interesting factoid. I've never attended.

Historically, I have observed Memorial Day by having some sort of personal tragedy: heartbreak, an injury or just a bad time. This went on for several consecutive years during my twenties. Eventually, I learned to avoid any memorial day festivities. I have successfully dodged the curse for several years.

However, after lunch, as I was wandering from my car back into my office, I was struck on the back of the neck by some bird poop. If it had been a sniper's bullet, I'd be dead. Mostly, I'm annoyed and a little disgusted, and I can't help but wonder if it isn't an ill omen for the upcoming weekend.

4 comments:

Chris said...

http://www.heptune.com/poop.html

basest said...

thank you. that was fascinating. I encourage anyone else who reads this to go to the URL chris has provided above, and have a shitty day. But in a good way.

The Moon Topples said...

A small frownie-face for the unattributed KV joke, but otherwise nice. My own thoughts on Memorial Day have become more complicated these last few years.

And I suppose you should be glad it was the back of the neck. There are worse places to be struck...

basest said...

MT:
I wasn't trying to steal KV's joke....i just wasn't sure if I had the phrasing right, and thought I'd just leave it as is, since I couldn't reference it properly.

that said, my tragedies are only petty things. read your blog today about memorial day...heavy stuff.
.m